They’ll be here soon – family and friends who through the holiday because they’re allergic to something in your home! Luckily, we’ve got 10 simples tips to help you keep them safe and comfortable this year.
Why do only some guests feel sick when they visit?
Because they’re among the 1 in 6 Americans with indoor allergies. That means their immune system slips into overdrive when confronted with bio-residual proteins – better known as indoor allergens. Most of these microscopic particles are linked to dust, dust mites, pets, and household mold. Common symptoms include puffy eyes that tear and burn, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, and sinus headache. There can also be itchy skin, hives or rashes, extreme exhaustion, even serious joint pain.
Would it help to board my pets?
It might, but even pet-free households are home to countless animal allergens. That’s because these invisible bits of protein are lightweight and become airborne as soon as they leave the animal’s body. Within minutes they can travel long distances, entering your home through open doors or windows, even through your heating system. Because the allergens are sticky, they cling to clothing, upholstery, carpeting, bed linen, and bath towels. From there they get quickly inhaled and absorbed through human skin pores.
Can vigorous household cleaning get rid of the allergens?
Absolutely not. BILLIONS of them circulate in every indoor area. We’re constantly exposed to them. Luckily, most of us don’t react to them at all. But in sensitive adults and children they are mistaken for a dangerous virus or bacteria. In the effort to eliminate infection, their immune system rushes antibodies to the nose, lungs, eyes, and surface skin. It’s this defensive “attack” that causes symptoms.